We often receive inquiries about “how to get to Margaret River”. A surprising number people don’t realise it requires more than a single day to visit properly.
Margaret River is 280 kilometres south of Perth or a three hour drive. It’s a very easy drive and we would definitely recommend staying a minimum of one night and preferable 3-5 nights (see the suggested itinerary for a multi-day stay https://margaretriverdiscovery.com.au/things-to-do-in-margaret-river-2014-02-05 )
How to get to Margaret River
- Main route: The journey from Margaret River takes approximately three hours by car. Take the Kwinana Freeway out of Perth city, which eventually becomes Forrest Highway, and follow the signs to Bunbury, then Busselton – the main roads will bypass these towns but feel free to drop in. Margaret River is 50km south of Busselton. When you start to see vineyards – you’re nearly there.
- Alternative route: South Western Highway is the inland route which is a little slower, but quite scenic. The South Western Highway guides you inland from the suburb of Armadale, Pinjarra, Waroona, Harvey, Brunswick Junction and on into Bunbury then Busselton and through to Margaret River.
- Do I need an International Drivers Licence? – An International Drivers Licences is desirable if you wish to hire a car, but it is not essential. Visit the WA Department of Transport website to find out more information on which countries require additional licences to drive on Australian roads.
- Swan River Seaplanes now offer a transfer. Let them know you want to do the Margaret River Discovery Tour and we can sort the timings.
- Scenic Helicopters are also happy to accommodate transfers to and from Perth
- South West Coach Lines connects Perth and the South West region, departing daily from the City Bus Port, Domestic Airport & International Airport, Perth. South West destinations include Margaret River, Dunsborough, Busselton, Manjimup, Collie and Bunbury.
- TransWA also operates a daily bus service from East Perth.
- Call the Margaret River Visitor Centre on +61 8 9780 5911 for more information or to book a ticket over the phone.
The Margaret River Discovery Co doesn’t offer Perth transfers but there are several other operators that do pick up from Perth to Margaret River. They are happy for you to book a Discovery Tour experience with MRDCo while you are here so you get to experience the best of the region while you are here.
Margaret River Confluence transfers with Bill Ivory (Great guy with excellent local knowledge)
Go In Style transfers with Peter (Unbeatable rate, top bloke with great vehicle )
Adams Pinnacle Tours ( I’m reluctantly recommending this experience as it’s very rushed and a looooooong day, with very little time in Margaret River region. If you choose this option then definitely take the option to stay at least one night so you don’t feel so rushed)
…….. but lets be absolutely honest here and say the BEST way to visit the region is in your own hire car. It’s a big region and there is a lot to see and do. It’s a super simple drive from Perth and you’ll really appreciate having your own car to explore.
For more information on the region please contact the Margaret River Visitor Centre on +61 8 9780 5911 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Margaret River Visitor Centre is located in town on the corner of Bussell Highway and Tunbridge Street.
Here’s a a few useful blog links that may help you with planning your stay –
Suggested winery restaurant list
Things to do and see on the drive to Augusta (hint – save the image at the bottom of the article to your phone and you’ll have it saved as an itinerary you can refer to while driving)
I wrote this suggested itinerary for Singaporean ex-pats visiting the region. But it is useful for anyone wanting to do something a bit different and more interesting than the standard checklist of things to do –
You can also follow the daily pics from MRDCo on my social media pages to get a feel for the region before your holiday- http://www.facebook.com/margaretriverdiscoverytours
Or on Instagram – https://www.instagram.com/discovermargaretriver/
Margaret River Discovery Tours
Sean Blocksidge is the owner operator of the Margaret River Discovery Company, an avid photographer, blogger and South West WA ambassador. In 2010 he won Western Australian Guide of the Year and his tours have been rated the #1 thing to do in Australia on the Tripadvisor website for the past two years.