Margaret River is 280 kilometres south of Perth, or a three hour drive. It’s a very easy drive and we would definitely recommend staying a minimum of one night, and preferably 3-5 nights.
For our suggestions of what to do on your stay, see our recommended things to do in Margaret River page.
- Main route: The journey from Margaret River takes approximately three hours by car. Take the Kwinana Freeway out of Perth city, which eventually becomes Forrest Highway, and follow the signs to Bunbury, then Busselton – the main roads will bypass these towns but feel free to drop in. Margaret River is 50km south of Busselton. When you start to see vineyards – you’re nearly there.
- Alternative route: South Western Highway is the inland route which is a little slower, but quite scenic. The South Western Highway guides you inland from the suburb of Armadale, Pinjarra, Waroona, Harvey, Brunswick Junction and on into Bunbury then Busselton and through to Margaret River.
- Do I need an International Drivers Licence? – An International Drivers Licence is desirable if you wish to hire a car, but it is not essential. Visit the WA Department of Transport website to find out more information on which countries require additional licences to drive on Australian roads.
- Skywest (operated by Virgin Australia) flies direct to the Margaret River Region (Busselton Airport) twice weekly from Perth.
- Wild Blue Helicopters are happy to accommodate transfers to and from Perth
- Bus services between Perth and Margaret River operate daily through South West Coach Lines andTransWA. Please note these times and prices are subject to change and should be officially checked.
- Call the Margaret River Visitor Centre on +61 8 9780 5911 for more information or to book a ticket over the phone.
The Margaret River Discovery Co doesn’t offer Perth transfers but there are several other operators that do pick up from Perth to Margaret River. They are happy for you to book a Discovery Tour experience with MRDCo while you are here so you get to experience the best of the region.
For more information on the region please contact the Margaret River Visitor Centre on +61 8 9780 5911 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The Margaret River Visitor Centre is located in town on the corner of Bussell Highway and Tunbridge Street.