Vintage Does End and then we Celebrate!
Most of the white wines have been harvested from this year’s vintage from northern and central parts of Margaret River with those in the south not too far behind; expect them to finish the whites shortly.
This year’s weather has been very kind almost a replica of the 2008 vintage which saw some top quality Margaret River wines produced and please keep your eye out for the 2008 reds.
While weather is truly in the lap of the gods anyone in the wine industry is still glued to the 28 day forecast and don’t let them tell you otherwise! Whatever the outcome when you turn the PC on your automatic thought is always to go to the weather and depending upon the long range predictions it can generally make or break your day.
Just like death and taxes are inevitable so is the end of vintage and when the last bucket hits the crusher all, apart from those in the winery itself, can take a well earned, well deserved break and kids can see their parents again at a reasonable hour.
With the end of vintage of course comes our celebration the Margaret River Wine Festival that will be held again at Leeuwin Estate.
Some new events have been added to the line up with full details below, but here is a little taste:
• Slow Food Long Table Feast
• Dunsborough Street Fiesta
This year will see 63 wineries taking part in the Festival (up from the 47 involved last year) which means there is even more great wine to discover!
We hope to see you here in at the Festival in April!
2010 MARGARET RIVER WINE REGION FESTIVAL PROGRAMME
Thursday 8 April
• Slow Food Long Table Feast, Leeuwin Estate
• Street Fiesta, Dunsborough
Friday 9 April
• Fresh is Best Cooking Class, Cape Lodge
• Street Fiesta, Margaret River Main Street
• Cabernet Cabaret & Wine Auction, Xanadu
Saturday 10 April
• Vintage Festival, Leeuwin Estate Amphitheatre
• Masterclasses with Jeremy Oliver & Vanya Cullen, Vintage Festival
• Joint Dinner with Cape Lodge & Howard Park, Cape Lodge
• Twilight Movies at Cape Mentelle “Chocolat”
Sunday 11 April
• Vintage Concert featuring Jon Stevens & Daryl Braithwaite, Leeuwin Estate
• Come Play at Amberley, live music with Paige Trantham
• Local Lunch @ Clairault
• Margaret River vs The World Dinner, Must Private Dining Room
Monday 12 April
• Kristina Olsen & Pete Grayling Live in Concert at Cullen Wines
8 – 12 April
• Barrel Art Exhibition, Swings & Roundabouts
9 – 11 April
• A – Z of Margaret River, Must
10 & 11 April
• Live Music at Swings & Roundabouts
Full details about each of these events can be found at www.margaretriverfestival.com.
Margaret River Discovery Tours
Sean Blocksidge is the owner operator of the Margaret River Discovery Company, an avid photographer, blogger and South West WA ambassador. In 2010 he won Western Australian Guide of the Year and his tours have been rated the #1 thing to do in Australia on the Tripadvisor website for the past two years.